At ENGAGE we are passionate about providing research-based wellness and nutrition education with one purpose: to enhance YOUR pursuit of meaningful and sustainable lifestyle changes.
- We provide a range services for individuals and families; including nutrition consulting, meal plan writing, grocery store tours, health support/coaching, skill development (meal-prepping, grocery shopping, eating out), in-home sessions (pantry cleanout, healthy cooking tips), and workshops.
- Clients range from those who struggle with a variety of nutrition and medical related issues, such as eating disorders, autoimmune diseases, food sensitivities, diabetes (gestational, Type I, and Type II), gastrointestinal and heart disease, osteoporosis, to those wanting to improve their overall fitness and approach to food.
Dabney Poorter, BSKin, BSN, RN, CN
Dabney Poorter’s experience in the fields of nursing, nutrition and fitness coaching span 13 years. She believes in a holistic approach to nutrition and wellness. Dabney especially enjoys helping individuals to understand how food impacts them physically, mentally and emotionally. She believes that food has the power to heal, and that understanding food quality, food choices and one’s relationship with food, can lead to greater awareness, improved health and a more abundant life. Dabney started her work as a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Cook Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth, TX. After personally being diagnosed with Type I Diabetes in 2013, Dabney pursued her passion for educating others to pursue meaningful and sustainable lifestyle changes. She founded Engage Your Wellness in 2015. Dabney’s specialties include: eating disorders; weight loss/gain; food allergies/sensitivities; gut health; adrenal fatigue, diabetes/hypoglycemia; cardiovascular disease/hypertension; mindful eating/emotional eating and family/child nutrition. Dabney is available for one-on-one consultations, group workshops and presentations.
- Endocrine conditions
- Weight Management
- Osteopenia and Osteoporosis
- Family and Child Nutrition
- Insulin Resistance and Diabetes
- Pre and Postpartum nutrition
- Eating Disorders
- Sports Nutrition
- Celiac and Gluten Intolerance
- Digestive Health and Wellness
- Adrenal Fatigue
”Around 28 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Because I planned to give birth at a birth center, it was essential I control my diabetes with diet only! I met with Dabney right away and she took something that was absolutely terrifying to me and turned it into something very simple! When my fasting numbers were still spiking too high, Dabney worked with me to get those numbers under control. She cheered me along and checked in on me to make sure everything was going well. With her guidance, I easily made it through the last three months of pregnancy completely controlling my diabetes with diet alone!
Now that our baby boy is here, I’ve kept up with many of the tips Dabney gave me. Less fast food, more real food...more veggies and fruit...less sugars! I so appreciate the changes Dabney sparked in my life and I know I will make healthier choices in the future because of her guidance!
”After going through a long period of having a very unhealthy relationship with food, my body could no longer keep up. I was experiencing brain fog, constantly cold, my metabolism had slowed and I could no longer complete a workout or a run. I was lost and had no idea where to even start. Dabney guided me the entire way. I received Nutrition plans, daily Food Log reviews and most importantly, daily support. I truly could not have done it on my own! I have such a better knowledge of food and nutrition now. My body is so much stronger and I feel great! I am forever grateful to Dabney!